Friday, September 2, 2016

What I Brought From Home

            Today in class, my professor asked us a rather odd question: “What did you bring from home with you to college, and what does it say about you?” At first, I thought of pretty typical things like clothing, a toothbrush, a box of ramen noodles, but as I pondered, I realized he that wasn’t the sort of answer he was looking for. What did I, a freshman, bring to college, a new place five hours from home where I knew nobody and had only been to twice? I found I had brought a lot more with me than I thought.
I brought my cello, mandolin, and ukulele, which help show my creativity and love of music. I brought pictures of my family and friends to help remind me of all the wonderful and supportive people I am blessed to have in my life. I brought my puns, which help me laugh and cheer up. I brought a mixture of excitement, fear, a sense of adventure, and hopeful outlook. But, more than anything, I brought running. 
I have been running since I was young, but I didn’t really start enjoying it until high school. I ran track, cross country, half marathons, and full marathons. I run twice a day, everyday. Running is such a major part of my life. It isn’t just about being in shape, though. Running is associated with so many of the best parts of my life.
Running is how I met my best friend and so many other great encouraging people, has helped fix my relationship with my dad, is my stress reliever, fills me with so much joy and a sense of accomplishment. I am a very insecure person; I worry so much about what people think about me, but while I am running is the one place for me when I feel like I am not being judged. Yeah, I may be slow, but I’m out running. Yeah, I may be sweaty and breathing heavy and wearing stupid looking clothes, but I am out there trying. Yeah, I’m not the fastest or the prettiest or the skinniest or the strongest, but I am out there, suffering making myself faster and making myself happier with my body and making myself stronger one step at a time.                                                                                                            
Running gives so much insight about me. It reminds me I am strong when I feel small. It shows my stubbornness and determination to push forward even when I am in pain, as well as that I am hard working. I think the fact that I am willing to wake up an hour earlier than I need to and sacrifice sacred sleep so I can go run shows my dedication. While I am out on the road, I can think, process information, sort out the stress in my life. Exercising has shaped what I want to do in life and made me pursue Exercise Science as my major to be a personal trainer and want to assist in other people’s journey to become stronger and more confident with themselves.
It brings me back to the question my professor asked: “What did you bring from home with you to college, and what does it say about you?” For me, I brought the thing in my life helps me deal with everything that goes on, what makes me feel the confident and comfortable with myself, what makes me feel free. I brought running.

No comments:

Post a Comment